So I won't tell you how many times that I managed to sew my free-motion foot to layers of the project, because - oh yeah - there are no mistakes!
Now, because I took the process challenge, I've actually got a picture of the unfinished piece, as I was beginning the process of slashing away the layers. In this picture, you can see the front of the project, with the lines stitched down. I used four batik fat quarters. And I've slashed away the first layer of fabric in one section.
I did lots and lots of slashing. And naturally forgot to take more pictures. BUT...once I got through with all the slashing, the next thing was to add yarn over my stitching lines, and then add some decorative stitching around the circles. Once that was done, it was time to make the quilt sandwich, and do some stitching underneath the slashed areas. Then I added some free-motion loopty loops (some of which are not very good at all), and then bound the piece with yarn. Ta Da! It's actually finished, although I might still add some beads. This was a fun project and turned out better than I thought that it would, especially since I was using some really cheap fabric.