Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What is Home?

It's been a while since I have thought about posting here, as you can tell by the date of my last post!  As I was looking through my digital pictures to upload here, I realized that I haven't even taken the time to load them onto the computer, much less put them on my blog.

So...for anyone out there who actually reads this silly thing, my ramblings tonight have more to do with location than sewing.

Home - how does one describe this emotionally packed little four-letter word?  Home is that place that we long for when we aren't there, and yet can't wait to escape.  As small children, home is that special place where our parents are.  As teenagers, home is that place w can't get away from fast enough!  After we enter the work place, home is the place we spend eight hours a day longing for and leave on the weekends!  We spend our lives wanting to be home and yet trying to leave.

My home has become a haven for me lately.  No matter how messy or neat, home is the only place that I don't feel beset on all sides by events and emotions totally out of my control to contain.  Home is that place that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will be greeted overenthusiastically by three fur babies.

It's hard to really express all that "home" means.  There is the feeling of safety when I'm at home.  I don't have to answer the phone if I don't want to - let's face it - I don't even have to get out of my PJ's if I don't want to!  I can disappear into my sewing room for hours on end, spending the day sewing or reading or just staring into space.  It's safe and comfortable and special because I don't have to invite the world in unless I choose to.

In all of the emotional ups and downs of the past year, home has become even more dear to me.  In my mind, home has become this almost sacred place where I can retreat and be still.  After all the trauma and drama, I can be still, relax a little bit, pet my dogs, eat contraband cookies, and feel a little bit of peace around the edges of the tense, uptight person that I seem to have become lately.  I've learned that if I occupy myself by sewing, my mind can't keep constantly banging around over things that I can't change or fix.  My sewing room is almost like the mermaid's song - it calls to me during the work day, during the challenge, during the hurtful, and during the laughter.  There is a piece of fabric needing to be manipulated, a pattern that just has to be cut out, an idea that needs to be brought forth.  It is creativity with some semblance of purpose - creation for the love of creating.

What is a home?  Love, laughter, safety, family, creativity, laziness, stillness, calm.  Strife, anger, sadness, sorrow.  Home is many things, but it is always the place that we long for!

No comments:

Post a Comment