Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Sunday Afternoon Venture into the Sewing Room

I've been bending my brain for the past two weekends, working on something for the Southern Appalachian Modern Quilt Guild where I'm a member.  The guild, by the way, is in its infancy, and welcomes all those interested in the art of quilting who live in the Tri-States areas of North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee, as well as anyone else who might like to see what it's all about!  Very exciting!  The guild currently meets once a month on the second Thursday at 6:00 p.m. at Bless My Stitches in Murphy, NC.  It's going to be fun getting to know these ladies and gentlemen as well as learn to stretch my quilting imagination. 

Now that I've spent the last two weekends working on a project for next month's meeting, I am not really sure if I'm on the right track or not.  I don't think that my piece is "Modern" by any wild stretch of the imagination, but at least I got started on it...Seems like I remember someone saying that since March has St. Patrick's Day that we should work with green, and I remember someone saying something about frames.  Why don't I ever think to write things down?!? 

At first I was going to make a fancy little mug rug like I made for my student workers, but decided at the last minute to try something a little different.  Ain't telling how I'm going to use green, but suffice it to say that it was fun and a true learning experience.  So much so that I've got to get some new supplies and re-do a little.  Using an iron is NOT always the best thing to do, even if the directions say that you can.  That's all I'm saying!  LOL!

I made most of the weird and wacky components last weekend, got the rest of the fabrics selected this weekend, and and then of course totally changed my mind about some of my wacky components and basically started over.  And then of course I changed my mind about the basic fabrics.  For a while I was really frustrated until I realized that the changes were actually good decisions for the quilt that I see in my mind.  What I always have to learn, time after time, is that what I see in my mind is usually NOT what becomes reality, nor is it the easiest to put together. 

Now that it is headed toward midnight on the eve before the work week begins again, my back and neck are killing me and my shoulders ache because I've been in the sewing room since 9:00 this morning, putting things together, ripping them out, putting other pieces together, ripping them out, and digging through my fabric stash like a mad woman.  I've ruined a brand new ironing board cover AND my pressing sheet, killed the tv remote by knocking it into the floor, and generally created a huge mess, BUT - I have a new mini-design wall to prop up behind Marie AND the beginnings of my wallhanging to show for it!  Hip Hip Hoorah!  The wallhanging start has gotten the Hubby Seal of Approval!  It's all wrinkly right now, but I'm still pretty proud of how it's shaping up.  Not "Modern" Quilting, but I've had fun.





Here's what I accomplished on Feb 3rd (I Think!  Or maybe it was Feb 10 - can't really remember)  I made so many of the Craftsy 2012 Block of the Month squares that I just had to join in for 2013.  Well, ok...if I'm really telling the truth, I haven't made ANY of the 2012 blocks!  But I figured, what the hay...it's free and I can access it any time that I want, even if it's in 2020...and since it's February, maybe it would be a good time to make - you guessed it - January's blocks!

I actually even ordered the fabric pack for the blocks.  We're talking TOTALLY out of my color comfort range here.  But I need to experiment and try something new, and with that in mind, I have decided this will be fun even if it kills me!  Orange, yellow, polka dots.  It's a far cry from purples, florals, and batiks.  See what I mean?


Sunday afternoon is one of my favorite times to sew.  Hubby is usually ensconced on the couch snoozing, Shih Tzus lovingly tucked in beside him, and I can watch Foyle's War and stitch away.  But first things first.  One MUST clean and oil the sewing machine.  This picture is of the lint that had accumulated in Marie during a weekend sewing spree.


YUCK!  I try to clean Marie every week and oil her.  Hopefully that will keep her stitching fine for years to come!

Once I got her all cleaned up and purring, I commenced to making the log cabin-esque block from the Craftsy 2013 BOM.  Here are the colors that I chose - they are pretty much the same ones as in the course, mostly because there were no details on which fabrics to use out the kit for which blocks and I'm scared that I will run out of all these crazy polka dots.

 
 
Anyway, these colors are pretty lively, huh?  Alright, they're lively for me!  Here's the first segment of making the block.  The instructor, Laura Nownes, put them together in a chain piecing style and then trimmed them up, so that's that I did as well.
 
 

Now you keep adding strips, chain piecing, trimming, until you get finished.  I played around with placement and found several interesting ways to put these blocks together. 
 


 
All in all, a fun set of blocks to make!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment