Saturday, February 2, 2013

Snowy Saturday Musings

Here it is, the year 2013, and I've been REALLY bad about blogging ever since I started this blog.  Because it's February 2, I can't even pretend that I made a New Year's resolution to be more dedicated about posting here!  Ha! 

So what have I been doing all these months that I haven't been blogging?  Well - work, of course - and sewing pretty much every Saturday, or visiting my LQS.  Bless My Stitches did a Block of the Month last year and I've actually got all of the blocks done, but haven't yet cut out the setting pieces.  Need to get on that - if the top turns out well, I plan to put it on our bed as a comforter.  I've made some wallhangings, put together another top that I pieced during the end of 2011 and beginning of 2012, made some purses, and actually finished lap quilt for my son and gave it to him right before New Year's.

Today I'm working on blocks for a Second Saturday Strip class and watching Foyle's War on Netflicks.  I've discovered that I really like British tv series shows and especially like the cop shows.  Foyle's War is set during World War Two. 

The blocks that I'm working on for the Strip Club are from a book called Jelly Roll Sampler Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott.  There are some very pretty quilts that can be made from this book.  Still can't decide whether or not I like working with precut strips though.  But I'm learning quite a bit and that's a good thing.  While I was pressing some of my triangle units, the thought struck me that this would be a great time to start charting my progress via this blog.  IF I remember to keep it up, huh?

I'm also a little bit in mourning.  Our son will be moving to Athens tomorrow.  He graduated from college December 2011, so I suppose that it really is time for him to move out and begin his adult journey, but it's also very sad to me that he won't be here at home.  I'm going to miss him so bad that I don't know if my heart can stand it.  He's the last little birdie to leave the nest.  Our daughter got married two years ago.  Now it will just be me, hubby, and the doggies.

Speaking of doggies, we have managed to inherit a Great Dane from our son's best friend, who has also moved to Athens.  Her name is Lacy.  It didn't take very long for me to get attached to this huge, slobbery, boisterous dog.  She has claimed me as her person and I'm trying, without much success, to teach her some manners.  Most mornings I get to work with paw prints between my shoulder blades and doggie spit all over my chest.  But I suppose that's half the fun of belonging to a Great Dane!

Here is the book that the Stripping Club is working from, and pictures of the first two blocks that I've made from it.  I'm a little dissatisfied with the first block and may sew a do-over after I finish the rest of the blocks.  The second block turned out a little better.     



Block One - it is actually MUCH more square than it looks in this picture - I take crappy photos

Block Two went together easier - I pressed the triangle square seams open - may do this for each block

Here is the beginning of Block Three.  There are some more pieces but I haven't started putting it all together yet.  Just finished pressing seams open on no less that 20 - yes, that's right, 20 - triangle units.  That's when I decided I needed to take a break and blog!  LOL

Today is a REALLY good day to have a neat hobby!  Here's what it looks like at my house at about 4:15 - it's been doing this for a while, I guess.  I didn't really realize that it was snowing until about 2pm when I came out of the sewing room for a cup of Java.

The picture above is two hours more snow than what I saw when I went into the kitchen for that cuppa Joe.  Boy, was I surprised!
 
And this is the view from my front porch looking down the pasture.  I just love snow, especially if the power stays on!  If the power goes off, I like it for about a day and then I'm ready for it to disappear.  Ha!
 
Hubby has made it back across the mountain from Cleveland so I'm relieved, but won't totally relax until he pulls into the driveway.  Driving in this can be SO dangerous.  The mountain was closed to traffic when he first got into Helen, due to a wreck.  I'm glad that he called to let me know he was on this side and safe!  He's going to try to go to the store for the makings of chili - that seems very suitable for a snowy Saturday, doesn't it?  Yum!  I'm hungry just thinking about it.  Oh Wait!  I'm hungry because I lost track of time in the sewing zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment